Top 10 Healthy Website Tips
How healthy is your website?
These healthy website tips can help keep your website running smoothly.
- Know your password and login for hosting/domain/wordpress. If you can’t log into wordpress, you can’t maintain your site. You should have all billing for domains and hosting in your name. It is very difficult to transfer into your name if someone else set it up and you cannot reach them.
- Keep your wordpress and plugin software up to date. Review your website weekly; check for broken links or anything that looks out of place.
- Check your analytics: crawl errors, site visitors, bounce rate, etc. each month
- Link your social media accounts, and when you post on social media, link back to a relevant page on your website.
- Size down images so they are less than 1mg, then SMUSH all your media (hint: it is a plugin).
- Schedule backups/store a copy outside of your computer. Don’t store backups on a thumb drive (use a real hard drive)
- Make notes of your most common customer questions or challenges and answer them in a blog or on your FAQ page
- Research your competition – how can you do it better?
- Add location relevant information or links to your site – are you on Google Maps
- Add customer testimonials on your website, or better yet, ask for a google review (have link ready, there are easy ways to collect testimonials)
Do not ignore the email notices that your domain name or hosting are set to expire. As long as you know how to login to your accounts, see #1, it is easy to verify and confirm payment within your account. If you don’t pay, your site will be taken down!
Appletree is a GoDaddy provider. Have you thought about purchasing additional domain names to keep them from your competitors?
I have been working in the field of Graphic Design and Marketing for over 20 years. Each tip above was learned the hard way by a client when they came to me with the problem. Details matter, and problems with your website can distract you from your daily business.